Sunday, May 3, 2009

Where I am coming from

looking at the sunset sky... Pictures, Images and Photos


I am inspired by my new friend Judith to examine all the times of my life. I will start with a little info about my childhood. I am the only child of my mom and dad. They wanted lots of kids but mom had infertility issues so viola, just me.
My Papa was married before and had 3 kids who are a bit older than me.(one passed away) His wife left him while he was serving in Vietnam. Then he was stationed in Maryland and met my lovely mama and they married 6 weeks after they met!
I found out about my brother and sisters at his funeral!
Mom told me that and I was like..boy you move fast huh!
I was born 10 months after they married :)

My Papa was super cool, he was a big guy 6 foot 5 with coal black hair and really dark eyes. My mom is schizophrenic but she was doing really well when they met, kind of like the schizophrenia was on the back burner and it got really bad after I was born. She was in a lot of hospitals all my life and Papa was so cool, cause we got to eat out alot and he was laid back. I sometimes would come home and find mom was in the hospital. It was hard on us both.

When he was alive every year we went to ocean city. I remember how his eyes sparkled when he looked at the ocean, like he belonged there, at the ocean, like a sailor. I love the ocean too and think of him anytime I am near the ocean. We used to sing songs, and he took me to the park and to see the airplanes at the airport. We watched them land and take off. We used to sing songs together. I have good memories, she made a bunny cake at Easter with 2 round cakes, I learned that from her. Mom used to take me to easter egg hunts, sometimes hosted by the hospitals she was in. I was in childrens chior and she loved to hear me sing. She took me to Church, sometimes I would go to Mass with this cool family down the street also. I actually learned a lot of Catholic traditions from them. My dad wasn't much of a churchgoer. I know he believed in God though.

I lived in the most awesome neighborhood cause I had friends I could depend on when things were really hard. It was a townhouse development and there was a pool there and I was on the swim team for many years also.
Bless her heart I wish things could have been better for her as far as her mental illness. She is doing quite well now, I must say. She lives in a special place for folks who have her condition.
Feel free to share memories with me.
God bless
Amy

2 comments:

  1. Hi there thanks for stoppin' by my blog and becoming a follower!
    Welcome~
    I was reading some of your blog....having a mom with schizophrenia must have been hard?

    Warmly,
    Georgiann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Georgiann,
    Yes my mom has her ups and downs but I love her!
    You have a great blog site I look forward to good reading!
    God bless
    Amy

    ReplyDelete